Why Can't I Keep Mice Out Of My Hattiesburg Home?
January 15, 2022
Insects and creatures threaten both property and human health, so pest remediation must be a constant for your Hattiesburg home. If you think you’ll see any before they arrive or multiply, you’d be wrong. Many get around quietly, with only apparent damage as a hint to their presence. You might notice that your structures or personal effects have been ruined. Sickness may abruptly befall you, as most critters carry diseases and germs. Should they procreate at a quick pace, like mice, you’re in for much stress.
Mice are hard to avoid for several reasons. One is that they gravitate to humans because of the food, water, and warmth surrounding us. Considering that they invade spaces with relative ease, learning more about their operation would be prudent. With such information, you can prepare for deterrence. Holifield Pest Management can be of assistance.
How Do Mice Function? What Are The Hazards?
In domiciles, house mice are ubiquitous. Their name is more than appropriate. Though lighter shades are on their stomachs, these furry creatures are gray, black, or brown. Being 7 inches long doesn’t preclude them from getting through a hole ½ of an inch in diameter, especially when they can use their razor-sharp teeth. If a zone is dark and quiet with a moisture or humidity source, vermin will be there. That’s why they’re often found in structural voids, cabinets, and basements. Residential areas near wooded or grassy areas meet house mice often.
Mice chew on anything, including pipes, wires, and foundations, to keep down their mounting teeth. As you might guess, this activity can give way to critical issues. For instance, plumbing difficulties, electrical outages or fires, and cosmetic wreckage are awful to experience.
Microbes and parasites are in the hairs of these animals, so there will be medical concerns as well. In addition, they have germs in their feces, urine, and saliva. Even if this weren’t the case, they’d harbor bacteria from the filthy settings they flourish in. Mice favor locations like dumpsters, streets, and sewers. Lymphocytic choriomeningitis, hantavirus, and salmonella are a few of the conditions they spread.
Infestation signs are as follows:
- Discovering pellets with a rod-like shape and blunt tips
- Finding footprints with four front toes and five back toes
- Hearing squeaking and scratching sounds
- Seeing bite marks on wires and walls
- Detecting persistent odors
What Are Ways To Prevent Mice?
You can’t let up on preventative protocols for mice. They have to be maintained at all times of the year. Vermin can dominate if you aren’t diligent; all it takes is a couple of them getting indoors. If you ever spot one, unfortunately, that means more are close by. Again, they reproduce with speed. Here’s what you’ll need to do specifically:
- Lessen clutter to reduce possible hiding places.
- Clean the kitchen with detail regularly. Make sure you wash the dishes, wipe off countertops, and go around appliances.
- Vacuum carpeting, and sweep and mop floors often.
- Put food and trash in canisters with airtight lids. This includes pet fare.
- Have moisture dysfunctions and leaks repaired immediately.
- Patch up cracks and crevices in doors, windows, foundations, and utilities. Use steel wool since mice can tear rubber and plastic.
- Rinse out gutters, vents, and drains frequently.
- Sit plants two feet away from the property.
- Mow the lawn and trim greenery on a routine basis.
How Will Holifield Pest Management Handle Mice?
It’s challenging to strategically place retail traps and pesticides for mice as they should be. Plus, these products are designed to kill single vermin and can be dangerous. We at Holifield Pest Management have safer home pest control solutions that are highly effective. Our industrial-grade treatments consist of baits, exclusion approaches, sanitation tools, and more.